Home Our News From 2016 News Bulletin In the Press About Us
Home
Our News From 2016
News Bulletin
In the Press
About Us
Walk Booklets
Volunteering
Adopt a Grave
Get Involved
Roy's Amusing Working Party Photos
150th
Donate Page
Cemetery Sevice
Reseach Group
Wildlife
Education
Youtube Page
Kidz Zone
Gallery
Comment
Contact Us
Downloads
Archive 2015
Archive 2014
Archive 2013
Archive 2012
Archive 2011
Archive 2010
   

The Place Family


 

The first section to be worked on by the Friends of Darwen Cemetery in their first year (2010) was Section C. One of the graves in Section C is that of Edith Bury (nee Place), her husband Edward Bury and one of their daughters Sarah Elizabeth. Edith_Bury_nee_Place 












Edward Bury, Edith (Place) Bury  with their youngest son Frederick Robinson Bury, Ann's 'maternal' Great Grandparents and Grandfather.

Grave of Edward Bury, Edith and daughter 
Sarah Elizabeth in Section C.                                                        

Edith Bury was the Great Grandmother of one of our members Ann Stokes and Edith died on the 16th May 1907.

She was one of the daughters of John Edwin Place Senior who, with his brother William Henry Place were local industrialists. This large red granite cross was toppled in the first round of grave testing but the family had it reinstated by a local monumental mason.

Scan

John Edwin and William Henry's father Joseph
Place came to Hoddlesden circa 1832 with his brother John from West Bradford near Clitheroe and owned coal mines in and around Hoddlesden. They were also cotton manufactures with mills and a weaving shed at Vale Rock, Hoddlesden. 
Their company was known as J and J Place. In 1863 the partnership between Joseph and John was dissolved. Joseph took the firm's colliery business and John the cotton manufacturing.
The company of John Place and Son failed in
1864 and Vale Rock Mill, Hoddlesden was closed.


Edith Bury (nee Place)                                                               

Joseph Place married Ann Hodgson from Rishton. He was a prominent member of the Duckworth Street United Free Methodist Church and was a Sunday
School teacher. He died in 1881. Their sons John Edwin Senior and William
Henry started work at the age of 14 in the offices of the collieries, where
they learned how to manage the colliery and eventually were taken into partnership.
The No 1 Pit near Vale Rock Mill, Hoddlesden was the oldest of the Place's workings, but new shafts were sunk between 1860 and 1864 to reach coal and clay for stoneware and a fireclay seam. This Pit reached a depth of 360 feet with two engines, one for pumping and one for winding.

In 1872 the Miners' Regulation Act was passed requiring managers to be
certified. William Henry gained his certificate aged 24 and remained working as a manager for approximately 17 years. He managed the firms while his brother John Edwin promoted the company and secured sales.

In 1891-1892 Joseph Place and Sons Ltd, sank another shaft at Eccleshill and established a further Sanitary Pipeworks near Goosehouse Lane, Darwen.
When the local Pit was abandoned in 1916 the Works continued to operate
using fireclay from Hoddlesden. The tramways built in 1861 to link the Pit to
the Old Sett End, Roman Road, and modified to New Sett End in 1877 were
used for this and continued in operation until 1938 when some of the coal pits were exhausted.

In 1897 Joseph Place & Sons Ltd were registered as a Limited Liability Company by Ann's Great Great Grandfather John Edwin Place Senior, William Henry Place, George Brindle (Paper Manufacturer) and Robert Clayton (a Cotton Manufacturer from Rishton).


John Edwin Place Senior was married twice, firstly to Elizabeth, nee Robinson, the mother of his six children. She died in 1887. He then married his second wife Esther nee Richards. They did not have any children.




Grave of John Edwin Place senior,
his 1st Wife Elizabeth and 2nd Wife Esther
re erected in March 2011


John Edwin Place and Elizabeth's children were Frederick Robinson Place, John Edwin Place Junior (known as Ted), George Hardisty Place, Edith Place, Ann Isobel Place and Helen Place (known as Nellie Place). He lived at 'Long Marsh' and 'High Lawn' House and over a period of time lived in property in Railway Road, Richmond Terrace and Hindle Street, Darwen. He was a member of the Belgrave Chapel. He loved music and earlier in his life he had served as organist at the Duckworth Street United Free Methodist Chapel. 
It was said that he was a highly respected man of trade and he was one of the earliest members of the Darwen Local Board. He served for a short time as one of the first Town Councillors after Darwen was Incorporated in 1878. Both brothers were Liberals and both served the Borough and County as
Justices of the Peace.

Darwen News July 5 1884

NEW LOCOMOTIVE ENGINE - The new locomotive engine which has been built at Bristol expressly for Messrs. Joseph Place and Sons at a cost of £700 arrived on Thursday afternoon, and was brought on the metals by an ordinary pilot engine. At five o'clock yesterday afternoon a trial trip was made in the presence of the members of the firm - Messrs. W.H. and J.E. Place - and a large concourse of spectators and workmen. The engine presents a beautiful appearance, and is named "Joseph Place", after the name of the late Mr. Place, who was senior member of the firm.
 
The engine was tried with an empty wagon, and took all the points beautifully It was run right up in the Goods Station siding, and tried over the various sidings belonging to the works. The level crossing looks rather a dangerous one, but we have no doubt that the firm will see that sufficient gates and protection is made for the safety of the public and conveyances generally. Many of the old women of the village, who gazed on with pleasure, appeared to have got the idea that they would now be able to go to Darwen any time, but, we had better inform them that this engine is only for the specific use of Messrs. Place and Son, running their goods up to the Hoddlesden siding, and very rarely will it be found making a journey to Darwen. We hope, however, that the passenger service will before long be added? to this rather important village.

 

William Henry Place, the uncle of Edith Bury, was said to be of imposing appearance and having an excellent temper and was very attractive in his manner and ways. He was said to have a keen sense of humour and enjoyed 'a good story'. As an amateur vocalist he had, when young, one of the finest tenor voices and for three years was choirmaster at St Paul's Church, Hoddlesden. He was a fine shot at both targets and in the hunting field. He was an enthusiastic sportsman enjoying cricket, football and golf. He distinguished himself as a volunteer in the Lancashire Regiment of Volunteers where in 1875 he received a commission, first as lieutenant, becoming Brevet Tank Major, then as acting Major and after 26 years service he was given the Brevet Rank of Lieutenant Colonel. He married twice, first to Maria Baron Rudd from Thirsk in Yorkshire and second to Millicent Amy Curwen from Cheam. Maria and William Henry lived at Ashleigh House. 

Col_Place


There were no children from either union and William Henry died there in 1919.
John Edwin Place Senior died in 1913 and is also buried in the cemetery in Section A. His imposing granite headstone has been toppled.

 

William Henry is buried in Section F of the cemetery amongst the other well
known industrialists of the town. His memorial is a large celtic cross still
standing on the hillside.


William Henrys Grave in Section F

Scan2


















      Brent Stevenson Memorials re erecting the grave of John Edwin Place


                                                                                   © Ann Stokes

                                                                            March 2011

Site Map